
Some of us in this house have been living with some fears that have been very real the last few days. You can be praying for us!
My little girl has started waking up at night from nightmares I believe. The other day, she watched a little portion of a common Disney movie and she internalized a fear of something, of which I wish I knew. Goes to show that you can't just trust any ol' Disney G rated movie for a little toddler. They perceive things on such a different level than we do and I am learning very quickly that they take these fears very seriously.
The last two nights have been active from Abigail waking up in a spook and screaming for Mommy while running out of her room to find us. I'm not kidding - the girl is booking it out of her room and when we scoop her up in our arms, she is shaking. Last night, being the second night, was a little better than the first, so I'm hopeful this is just a quick stage that can be phased out real fast!
Then Easter brought a monumental fear back for me. We felt the massive earthquake that hit in Mexico, very close to home here in San Diego. The 7.2 that hit in Mexico was felt very clearly in our home. This brought back many a memory I wish to forget, and rose a fear that I will always have - to some it may seem silly. I have a very real fear of earthquakes.
When I was in the summer between my 4th and 5th grade years of school, age 9, I was at a Girl Scout camp up in Big Bear for a week's summer camp. It was only our third day at camp when the Big Bear and Landers earthquakes both hit back to back; a 7.3 and a 6.4, with many aftershocks to follow. Communications were down for a couple days and we were not able to be in contact with our parents until they were up again. Furthermore, we couldn't return home until the roadways were given the clear to be safe enough to ride on. This severely traumatized me and I can't live with even the littlest shake of a bed or rattle of a wall, without jumping to alertness and having my heart skip a beat or two and continuing to race. What's nice is that I am more logical about things now and I can assess the severity and know that I am ok - but that's usually on the small ones that we feel randomly. Yesterday's bigger one was the closest that I have felt to my younger experience and it rocked me ;)
Needless to say Robbie has been quite the trouper, holding down the fort here in the Morales house, keeping the two ladies cuddled and secure. We're all hoping these fears subside and we can move on to other "exciting" things!


2 comments:
i also have a high fear of EQ's. You shoulda heard me screaming when this one happened. After it ended, I raced outta there as soon as I could, and my heart wouldn't stop going so fast.
OK.. it's been one month since we rocked & rolled... I DO not like them either ONE bit -Its in our DNA!
But its now time to ROLL onto your next post... and a new name for the blog to prepare for the arrival of Master Daniel! :-)) Can't wait for a new nephew to grace our family soon!
Post a Comment