Friday, May 21, 2010

To C, or Not to C...that was the question!

I have really enjoyed this pregnancy, yet I am eager to finally meet our little man!! Abby is so cute, she keeps identifying what is Daniel's and saying that he will be coming home from the hospital with mommy and daddy. I think she's excited too....that is until he arrives ;) hahaha

So yes, the big question for me was whether we were going to be able to go with a natural birth or if I was going to have to go c-section again. With my pregnancy with Abigail, I really didn't keep a close watch on minor things that I didn't realize would make a larger impact as her delivery got closer. I had high blood pressure, I had gained a good amount of weight, and towards the end, my doctor thought I could potentially have pre-enclampsia (sp?). So that's why I was induced at 37 weeks. At that point Abby was averaging at what the doctor would guess at 7lbs and sure enough, she was born at 7.2lbs. The reason I resulted in a c-section was merely because her head wasn't passing my tailbone.

So, all that to say, this time around I have been really watching things a lot closer. My blood pressure has been steady and low, I have gained very little weight (only 18lbs to date), and I've been making sure I've been getting really good nutrition (...thanks to Reliv and a eye on my diet...you can ask me about Reliv sometime in the future if you're interested in a really great whole nutrition program that is wonderful!!). So, when every time I'd visit the doctor for a check up and my belly measurement would always measure one to two weeks ahead of schedule, I was always confused and wondering if I really could indeed deliver naturally.

Robbie and I were not willing to just go on our gut and risk an unhealthy delivery, so we asked our doctor if there was any other way of determining whether we should go naturally or c-section. He suggested a late third trimester ultrasound so that we could more accurately see the size of Daniel and have a better idea of what I was up against.

We just had our ultrasound on Wednesday and it was so informative. I'm so glad my doctor suggested it and I'm feeling very confident about my decision now at this point. The ultrasound revealed that at 36 weeks, Daniel is already measuring ahead of Abigail's birthweight. They put him at an estimated 7.3lbs and the ultrasound revealed that he has an abdomen in the 96th percentile. His head measured at the 80th percentile. They said that he could potentially gain up to 1.5 more pounds before he was born. So needless to say, if I labored naturally and actually was able to push is head through, I would then have to battle with pushing is abdomen through. And, to top off those risks, I also have to remember that through that pushing, I risk uterine rupture from the previous c-section. I appreciated my doctor's admittance that statistics haven't been able to accurately prove one way or the other on successfull or non-successfull VBAC deliveries, BUT with what I do know, I am at more of a risk than an average delivery. So....

I met with my doctor today to review the specialist's findings from the ultrasound and we have set a date for my c-section. I have an appointment for Thursday, June 10 (yes Jeremy...Daniel will share your bday :) at 9:30am. Obviously, if I go into natural labor before June 10 then I'll just be admitted into emergency c-section and deliver that day. But if all goes to plan, then I'll be welcoming a handsome and healthy Daniel Robert Morales into the world on June 10. Crazy to actually have a date!!

Here are some ultrasound pix and it's neat because I was able to get the high definition pix free since I was in for a health screening ultrasound. I have labeled the first pic for those who are unable to tell what is what ;)



**Sorry this took us so long to update our blog - we have been out of internet at our house for some time and we're still trying to get it fixed...better be fixed before the babe comes!! Our apologies!!**

2 comments:

CrzyAuntChar said...

I'm so excited... and look -- he's smiling for the Camera & Aunt Char already - glad you are training him early! :-)) xoxo

Andy said...

i loved the labeling of the image, wish the other 2 were labled.

he will share the bday of a friend of mine!