Monday, April 14, 2008

Some Ups and Downs...



Today Abigail went in for her 2 month check up with the pediatrician for her first vaccinations. I was stoked since the day had started off so well from an AWESOME night's sleep...the little girl slept the longest she has ever slept. We got a 9 hour shift from her last night, which equals to us about 7 hours of sleep...AWESOME!! The first time I have ever gone to bed with it dark outside and woke up with the sun in the morning. So needless to say, I thought the day was going to be awesome as well.

We got to the office fine, and then as soon as her body laid on the doctor's office table/bed, she sensed what was going to be happening, and the wailing began. She started crying and wouldn't stop, all the while the nurse is trying to talk to me. She wasn't calming down, so we had to weigh her, measure her, and go back to the room with her crying in the halls. When we got back in the room she decided to make things really interesting and peed all over me, down my shirt, on my foot and sandal, the ground and somehow the table/bed. So as I was trying to still talk to the nurse, I had a crying baby in my arms, and a huge mess to clean up. Finally, after the nurse left she decided to calm a little....

...that is until the doctor came in and she had to go back down on the table/bed. She started crying again and I had to limit my conversation with her doctor. We got through her check up and we discussed the shots she was going to be getting for her 2 month immunizations. The nurse came back in and gave her three shots in the legs and an oral one. The poor baby has never cried so hard in her little life, tearing at mommy's heart strings like CRAZY!! Through gurgling screams, and huge tears, I was finally able to calm her through a quick feeding in the room.

All day I have looked at her poor little band-aid legs and her sleepy, groggy self and thought how tough she has been today, and I can't help but just hold her in my arms and hope that she doesn't think that I put her through that for the purpose of pain, but understands that I just want to comfort her and love her and keep her healthy. Ughhh....and to know that this is just the 2 month check up and she has to go through it all again at 4 months and then at 6 months....no fun!

But hey, her measurements came out really well...our little baby is now 10 lbs. 12 oz., 22 3/4 in. long....and as I'm writing this and daddy is holding his little girl, she is giggling for the first time... through her dreams in her sleep.

3 comments:

amber dawn said...

Ugh...it gets better. Did anyone tell you to give her some tylenol BEFORE the appointment? That helps...and so does distraction. I bring noise makers in and hold them right in front of Abbey's face. She actually made it through her last shots without shedding a tear! Try it next time...maybe it'll help.
Oh, and I can't believe you had a night sleep like that! Abbey JUST slept her first two nights through the last couple of nights. ;) Lucky you!!!

shae said...

What a day! I'm so glad you know it's for her good though! Sometimes even moms aren't convinced of that and it makes it even worse!
Another idea for next time...if your doctor let's you...it to actually nurse her while she's getting her shots. That way the comfort is right there! That is of course if you even can...or want to!
AND I CAN'T BELIEVE HER NIGHT! congrats my friend! God knew you needed that sleep so you could make it through the appointment! hee-hee!

Joyful Weddings and Events said...

I hadn't heard that story! I totally laughed at the peeing... but totally felt for you with the rest. Those appointments are so hard! We definitely bring some tylenol along- but that is a very good idea amber had to give it to them before. Isaiah has gotten better with each appointment- less crying because we are able to distract him more with toys and having him stand up and such. So, hopefully month 4 will be better (no pee?!?)